Scanning Offset Adjustment, Overruns, and Fast Whitespace

Home Forums Software LightBurn Scanning Offset Adjustment, Overruns, and Fast Whitespace

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  LightBurn 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Joel Brondos
    Participant

While some of these might have been addressed on the Facebook page, I’m re-asking them here in hopes they will be easier for me to find in the future. Perhaps I should have made 3 separate topics . . . but I didn’t (since I’m thinking that they are kind of interrelated, dealing with laser head movement).

1. Could you explain how (and where) to set up “overruns” so that I don’t get darkened edges on the left and the right sides when scanning back and forth?

2. Could you explain the purpose and use of the “Scanning Offset Adjustment” listed under menu Edit -> Device Settings? When would I need it? What does it help?

3. Could you explain the purpose and use of the “Fast Whitespace” listed under menu Edit -> Device Settings? When would I need it? What does it help?

LightBurn
    Participant

1) Is a toggle called “OverScan”, shown here: https://github.com/LightBurnSoftware/Documentation/blob/master/Operations.md#scan
    You can change the percentage to change how much overshoot it produces – 2.5% seemed a good starting point.

2) Scanning offset is useful when doing raster or vector scanning at high enough speeds that belt flex puts your laser head a little behind where it should be when it fires. (see the comparison below of RDWorks with the feature enabled vs LightBurn before it was available). You run several scans at different speeds, measure the distance between your horizontal scans on odd / even rows, and enter those measurements into the table. A minimum of two measurements are needed for it to work. Others are interpolated from those, but you can enter as many as you like.

3) When engraving an image, LightBurn normally moves at the same speed across the entire image. If you are engraving slowly to get a good burn, but the image contains a lot of empty space (white space), this takes a long time. With the Fast Whitespace switch enabled, LightBurn will boost the speed through blank areas to the speed you indicate, if it is faster than the current engraving speed. This can save significant time.

ReverseInterval.jpg

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘LightBurn’ is closed to new topics and replies.